Whiskey & Maple Glazed Slab Bacon
link for whiskey sauce: Whiskey Sauce for Meats and Vegetables
- 4-5 lb
- cured slab of bacon, unsliced
- 1/4 c
- pure maple syrup
- 1+ c
- whiskey glaze (recipe link to follow)
How to Make Whiskey & Maple Glazed Slab Bacon
- 1Preheat oven to 350. Line a Jelly Roll pan with foil for easy clean up.
Place slab of bacon in center of pan, fatty side up.
With a sharp knife cut cross every 1", about 1/2" deep..Then turn and cut across again, so it looks like tic tac toe, only with a lot of lines...
- 2Drizzle maple syrup over top and rub in, you want it to get in those cuts. Then repeat with 1/2 cup whiskey glaze.
Cover tightly with foil and bake for one hour. Remove from oven, reduce heat to 325.
Turn slab over...brush or drizzle 1/2 cup or so of whiskey glaze over top, cover again with foil and bake another hour.
- 3Remove from oven, allow to rest 10 minutes, remove foil, slice as desired (I did approx 3"x1" pieces), place in skillet over medium heat, drizzle with more glaze to coat all sides and warm through, sauce will thicken and caramelize as it heats. Be careful not to burn. Serve as desired. I served over polenta with a little dish of more whiskey sauce for dipping.
- 4POLENTA: 3 c milk, 1 1/4 c cream, 1/2 c butter, 1 1/2 tsp sea salt, 1 Tbsp sugar, 1 1/2 c corn meal...
Butter or spray a 9x13 pan, set aside. In a large saucepan over medium heat, bring milk, cream, salt and sugar to a boil, stirring occasionally. When it starts to boil, slowly sprinkle in corn meal while briskly whisking the whole time, until all corn meal has been incorporated. Continue to whisk until thickened. Then pour into prepared pan. Set aside to cool. When cool cut into servings. Warm slightly before serving. May be stored in refrigerator for up to a week.