West Texas Asado
16dried ancho chiles
10 clovefresh garlic
3 lbboneless pork shoulder cut into 1 inch pieces
3 Tbsplard, bacon grease or peanut oil
1/2 mediumonion, chopped
1/2 ccilantro, chopped
2 tsporegano, mexican is best
·salt & pepper to taste
How to Make West Texas Asado
- Take the chiles and remove stems and seeds. Place chiles in a large bowl, pour warm water over them and then add two crushed cloves of garlic and 1 t salt to bowl. Let soak overnight or for at least 8 hours.
- After chiles have softened, throw out the soaking water (it will be bitter) and place chiles in a blender with 1/2 cup fresh water. Puree until a thick paste is formed...it should be about 4 cups of puree.
- IN a saucepan, saute on medium heat the diced onion in one tablespoon of oil until cooked and starting to brown, about 10 minutes. Add the remaining 8 cloves of crushed garlie (about 1/2 cup) and cook for one more minute. Add the chile paste, 1 cup of water, the cilantro, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Cook chile sauce on medium heat for five minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Generously salt and pepper the pork cubes. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil to pot and brown meat on all sides. Add chile sauce to meat and cook covered on low heat for 2-1/2 hours stirring occasionally. Serve with 2 fried eggs on top and good Mexican cheese if desired and flour tortillas. yum yum