Tuscan Pork Roast with Herbed Salt
- 1 7-pound pork loin roast, rack bones removed in one piece and reserved
- tuscan herbed salt, recipe follows
- 4 sturdy rosemary branches, 10 incheslong
- coarse salt
- 4 oz. thinly sliced meaty pancetta
- 1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups dry white wine
- freshly ground black pepper
How to Make Tuscan Pork Roast with Herbed Salt
- 1Pat the pork loin thoroughly dry with paper towels. Using a long handled wooden spoon, pierce a hole lengthwise through the center of the roast. Using your fingers and the wooden spoon handle, stuff 3 Tbsp. of the herbed salt into the hole. Insert a rosemary branch in each end of the hole. Mix remaining 1 Tbsp. herbed salt with 1 1/2 tsp. coarse salt and rub it all over the roast. Cover with pancetta and top with remaining 2 rosemary branches. Tie the roast and 1 inc intervals to give it a neat shape.
- 2Transfer to a platter, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours. Let come to room temperature before cooking, at least 1 hour.
- 3Preheat oven to 450. Set rack of rib bones in a large roasting pan. Unwrap the roast, pat it dry and rub it with the olive oil. Put the roast on the rack and roast for 15 minutes. Remove the pan from oven,turn the roast over (don't worry if you can't turn it over. Don't bother. It will be fine with no turning)and baste it with a few tablespoons of the wine.
- 4Return roast to oven, reduce temperature to 350 and cook for about 1 1/2 hours, turning roast and basting it with wine every 20 minutes. reserve 1/2 cup of the wine for the sauce. The roast is done when an instant read thermometer inserted in center reads 145 degrees.
- 5Transfer roast and rack to a platter and pour the pan juices into a glass measuring cup. Skim off as much fat as possible. Set roasting pan over two burners at medium heat. When it starts to sizzle, add reserved 1/2 cup wine and cook for 2 minutes, scraping up drippings from bottom of pan.
- 6Pour pan juices into juices in the measuring cup and let fat rise to the surface. Skim off fat again and season the sauce with salt and pepper to taste. Remove strings and carve the roast into thin slices. Serve pork with warm pan sauce
- 7Tuscan Herbed Salt:
1 garlic clove
1 Tbsp. sea salt
30 fresh sage leaves
Chop garlic with the salt. Chip herbs together, then chop again with the salt Use the salt right away or let it dry out and store for up to 1 month in an airtight container at room temperature. The salt is a delicious seasoning for pork, veal or vegetables such as potatoes or green beans.