The Pasty from the Upper Peninsula
I know you will enjoy this recipe, as all of us 'Yoopers' agree, you do not know what you are missing until you have a pasty. As they in Italian, "tempo per mangiare", time to eat!
3 1/2 cflour
1 cice water
4 1/8 cpotato
1 conion, diced
1 3/4 cshredded carrot
1 lblean ground beef
3/4 lblean ground pork
3/4beef bouillon, cubes or 1 tbls of beef base
1/2 chot water
1 Tbspblack pepper
How to Make The Pasty from the Upper Peninsula
- With a wire whisk, mix together flour and salt in a large bowl.
- Cut in shortening.
- Make a well in the center of the mixture and quickly stir in the ice cold water.
- Form dough into a ball; Set aside
- Dissolve the bouillon cube or beef base in the hot water.
- Combine potatoes, carrots, onion, rutabaga, ground beef,pork, salt, pepper,and bouillon.
- Roll out pastry dough into 6 x 8 inch rectangles.
- Place about 1 1/2 cups of filling in the center of each rectangle.
- Bring 6 inch sides together, and seal.
- Cut a slit in the top of each pasty to vent. Place on dull, not black, cookie sheet.
- Bake in 425 degree oven for 45 minutes.
- Serve with Ketchup! Yumm!