The Pasty from the Upper Peninsula
I know you will enjoy this recipe, as all of us 'Yoopers' agree, you do not know what you are missing until you have a pasty. As they in Italian, "tempo per mangiare", time to eat!
- 3 1/2 c
- 3/4 c
- 1 c
- ice water
- 3/4 tsp
- 4 1/8 c
- 1 c
- onion, diced
- 1 c
- 1 3/4 c
- shredded carrot
- 1 lb
- lean ground beef
- 3/4 lb
- lean ground pork
- beef bouillon, cubes or 1 tbls of beef base
- 1/2 c
- hot water
- 1 Tbsp
- black pepper
- 1 tsp
How to Make The Pasty from the Upper Peninsula
- 1With a wire whisk, mix together flour and salt in a large bowl.
- 2Cut in shortening.
- 3Make a well in the center of the mixture and quickly stir in the ice cold water.
- 4Form dough into a ball; Set aside
- 5Dissolve the bouillon cube or beef base in the hot water.
- 6Combine potatoes, carrots, onion, rutabaga, ground beef,pork, salt, pepper,and bouillon.
- 7Roll out pastry dough into 6 x 8 inch rectangles.
- 8Place about 1 1/2 cups of filling in the center of each rectangle.
- 9Bring 6 inch sides together, and seal.
- 10Cut a slit in the top of each pasty to vent. Place on dull, not black, cookie sheet.
- 11Bake in 425 degree oven for 45 minutes.
- 12Serve with Ketchup! Yumm!