4medium- size green peppers
1 lblean ground beef
1/2 cquick-cooking rice, uncooked
1/2 tspdried oregano leaves
1/8 tspgarlic powder
1/3 cwater, milk, or tomato juice
1egg, slightly beaten
18 oz can of tomato sauce w/onion bits
How to Make STUFFED GREEN PEPPERS
- Cut green peppers in half lengthwise; remove core and seeds.
- Place peppers, hollow side up, in a shallow microwave-safe baking dish.
- In a med-size bowl, crumble beef. Add Rice, salt, papper, oregano, garlic powder, water (or milk, or tomato juice), egg, and 1/2 cup tomato sauce. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Spoon mixture into pepper halves.
- Spoon remaining tomato sauce over peppers.
- Heat, covered loosely w/wax paper, onROAST (75% power) for 19-22 minutes or until meat is cooked and peppers are tender as desired.
- Allow to cool for 4 minutes, before serving.
- NOTE: Because this recipe is almost 25yo, this is how I've tweaked it. I cook the EMPTY peppers on hi power for 3 minutes to start the tenderizing process. Otherwise, when the peppers are tender in the original recipe, the meat is overcooked. I use green, red, or yellow peppers. I use pasta sauce of choice in place of the liquid called for the meat mixture. I use italian seasoning, instead of just oregano.