Spicey Hoppin' John
2 cdried black eyed peas or white navy beans
1meduim ham hock or ham bone
2 cchopped tomatoes
1 cchopped celery
1 cchopped onion
1/2 tspslat or to taste
2 tspchili powder or to taste
1/4 tspcrushed basil
1 crice, brown or white your choice
How to Make Spicey Hoppin' John
- Rinse dried peas or beans. soak overnight( or boil two minutes, let stand 1 hour). Do not drain.
- Add all the rest of the ingredients except rice. Simmer 1 1/4 hours or until peas are tender.
- Remove ham bone and remove meat from bone. Add meat and rice to peas.
- Simmer until rice is tender or longer.
- Serve with cornbred, green onions and sliced tomatoes.
- I often add the ham juices in with the peas when I start cooking them. I used a home canned quart of tomatoes and we liked it that way. The measurements can be played around with the added ingredients.