★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 2 Tbsp
- olive oil
- 1 c
- pancetta or bacon cut in 1/4 inch dice
- 1 lb
- 8 large
- 1/2 c
- grated parmesan
- 1/2 c
- grated pecorino
- freshly ground black pepper
How to Make Spaghetti Carbonara
- 1Bring a large pot of well salted water to a boil over medium heat.
- 2Add about 2 tablespoons olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Add the pancetta a medium heat and cook until it starts to color and become crisp. Turn off the heat and reserve.
- 3Drop the pasta into the salted boiling water and cook it 1 minute less than it says on the package, usually about 6 to 7 minutes. Bite the pasta to check the consistency.
- 4While the pasta is cooking, crack the eggs into a large mixing bowl. Add the grated cheeses and season with salt. Whisk vigorously until it becomes a homogeneous mixture. Season generously with black pepper.
- 5When the pasta is just about done, return the pan with the pancetta to medium heat. Remove the pasta from the cooking water. Toss or stir the pasta into the pancetta to coat the pasta with the remaining fat in the skillet. Immediately vigorously stir the egg mixture into the pasta. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly until the egg mixture looks like a cream sauce.
- 6Serve immediately. I usually sprinkle mine with some pecorino and more pancetta! Enjoy