Smothered Potatoes and Sausage
How to Make Smothered Potatoes and Sausage
- 1Slice the sausage into 1/2-1 inch pieces and chop your onion. I use frozen, chopped onion. Peel potatoes and cut them into uniform cubes, about 1-2 inches square.
- 2Heat 3 tbsp oil in a large skillet or Dutch oven, and add the sausage and onion. Cook over medium to medium-high heat until onions are translucent and sausage begins to brown. Add a tablespoon or two of water if sausage starts to stick.
- 3Add potatoes to the pot along with the sausage and onions. Fill the pot with about 2 inches of water and add seasoning of your preference. Since I am from south Louisiana, I like spicy food. I use onion powder, garlic powder, and Tony Chachere's (Cajun seasoning). I sometimes add chicken bouillon powder to the water, as well.
- 4Cover and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until potatoes absorb the water, about 60-90 minutes. If the water cooks out before the potatoes are very soft, add more. You don't want the potatoes to get crusty.
- 5Your dish is done when the water is all absorbed by the potatoes, and the potatoes are extremely soft.