Slow Roasted Chipotle Pork
- 2 tbsp. kosher salt
- 1 tbsp. chipotle powder ( tierra vegetables makes a good one, pricey, but good. tierravegetables.com
- 1 pork shoulder roast, about 3 1/2 lbs.
- 24 small corn tortillas
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
How to Make Slow Roasted Chipotle Pork
- 1In small bowl, mix together kosher salt and chipotle powder and rub it into the pork, being sure to cover the entire surface of the meat with the mixture. Put pork in clay roaster or other deep roasting pan with a lid, place covered roaster in oven and turn heat to 275. If you are using a clay roaster, don't preheat oven. Cook til pork falls apart when you press it with the back of a fork, 3 1/2 to 4 hours. Remove pork from oven and let rest covered, for 15 minutes.
- 2Heat tortillas on medium hot griddle turning them often til they are warmed through and soft. Wrap them in a tea towel and put them in a basket. Transfer pork to large serving platter and use two forks to pull it into chunks. Add lime wedges to platter, place cilantro in small serving bowl, and serve at once. To fill tortillas, set one on top of another on a plate, spoon some of the pork on top, squeeze a little lime juice over pork and sprinkle with some cilantro. Fold in half.
- 3There are two types of pork shoulder roast. Boston butt and picnic ham. Boston butt is the more succulent of the two (richer tasting and more tender) but either will do. You can make this with a boneless or bone in roast. Just figure you'll need a little more if it's a bone in. This is more of a method than a recipe and you can adapt it according to any size or shape pork shoulder. Bone in or boneless, 3 lbs. or 5, just use 1 part chipotle powder and 2 parts salt, then rub the pork with enough spiced salt to cover. To warm the corn tortillas all at once, and ahead of time, preheat oven to 350. Very lightly dampen a clean kitchen towel. Check tortillas to make surd none are stuck together. Wrap them in the towel then in foil, sealing edges tightly. Put them in oven and set timer for 7 minutes.