Mertzie's Slow Cooked Swiss Steak & Chops
- beef round steak
- large onion
- large green pepper
- large can tomatoes (whole or crushed)
- cans tomato paste (see note in directions)
- pinch sugar
- worcestershire sauce
- container of knorr's beef stock or 1/4 cup of penzey's beef soup base
- 1 or 2 Tbsp
- a-1 sauce (if you like it, if not omit)
- ground black pepper, sea salt
- cup flour
- canola oil for cooking meat
- pork chops or country style ribs
- tsp celery seed
How to Make Mertzie's Slow Cooked Swiss Steak & Chops
- 1Bring steak to room temperature and cut into quarters. Tenderize the steak with a meat mallet (sometimes your butcher will do it for you or run it through a cuber). Pound it w/ a mallet until it starts to thin out (you show that steak who's boss, baby!).
- 2Lightly salt & then pepper the steak. I pour worcestershire sauce on it at this point & rub in well & let it sit a bit longer. Heat a skillet w/ some oil for browning the steak. Rub the steak into the flour.
- 3Fry for a few minutes each side, working in batches, if needed. Brown the pork chops or ribs a few minutes also, (I don't add flour or seasonings to the chops).
- 4Meawhile, add about 3/4 of the canned tomatoes to your crockpot. Sprinkle a little sugar over top, and then add the A1, if using. Add 1 can of tomato paste & beef stock, celery seed, and stir. I add more ground black pepper. Add some more salt, if you want. Add half of the chopped green pepper & onions.
- 5Add the cooked steak & chops. Top w/ remaining onions and peppers & the rest of the tomatoes. Cook on low for about 6-7 hours.
- 6Check & see if your sauce is too thin. If it is, add the rest of the tomato paste & continue cooking until you can cut the steak easily with just a fork. You also can add some garlic to this recipe or chopped carrots. I usually don't just because my mom didn't & I like it how she did it! :)