★★★★★ 1 vote5
4 lb(up to 7 lbs) pork shoulder
1 tspcumin, ground
1 tspchili powder
2 Tbspkosher salt
1 Tbsppepper (more or less - depending on your taste)
2 Tbspolive oil, extra virgin
2 Tbspwhite wine
2 Tbspwhite vinegar
1/4 cdark brown sugar
1white onion, quartered
How to Make Shredded Pork
- Heat oven to 300 degrees.
- Rinse and pat dry the pork shoulder.
- To a food processor, add - oregano, cumin, chili powder, salt, black pepper, garlic, olive oil, white wine, vinegar, brown sugar, and onion. Blend until totally combined.
- Pour over pork shoulder and rub it in.
- Place into a roasting pan or dutch oven and add 2 cups of water. Cover tightly and roast for several hours (3-6), turning once every hour.
- When pork is fork tender (and falling apart), remove the lid and roast it, skin sdie up for another 15-20 minutes to get the skin crispy. (This is not a necessary step - and if I don't have time, I don't do this)
- Let rest for 15 minutes before shredding. Remove fat from top of shoulder before shredding.
- I let the juice cool, and skim off the fat. The pour juices over shredded pork.
- Serve on buns or with warm tortillas.
- You can also add EL PATO brand Tomato Sauce. Usually found in the mexican food section of the grocery store. For a little heat and tomato flavor.
- I have also started this in the oven @ 400 degrees for the first hour to hour and a half, then turned it down to 325 to shorten the cooking duration.