Shanghai Style Pork Ribs for the slow cooker
- 1 jar hoisin sauce, 8 oz
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1/3 cup dry sherry
- 1/4 cup bottled minced garlic, 24 cloves
- 4 tsp. bottle hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 tsp. five spice powder
- 2 to 2 1/2 lbs. pork loin back ribs, cut into individual ribs
- hot cooked chinese noodles, optional
How to Make Shanghai Style Pork Ribs for the slow cooker
- 1Mix hoisin sauce, brown sugar, soy sauce, tomato paste, sherry, garlic, hot pepper sauce, and five spice powder. Put ribs in 3 1/2 to 4 quart slow cooker. Pour hoisin sauce mixture over ribs. Toss to coat.
- 2Cover and cook on low setting for 8 hours or on high setting for 4 hours. Using tongs, transfer ribs to a platter. Cover with foil to keep warm.
- 3Transfer cooking liquid to small pan, skim off fat. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer for 15 to 18 minutes or til liquid is reduced to 1 cup. Return ribs to slow cooker add reduced liquid, and toss to coat.Keep warm, covered on warm setting or low heat setting for up to 1 hour. If desired serve ribs with hot cooked Chinese noodles. Serves 6