Savory Scotch Meat Loaves
1 largeegg, beaten
3/4 cupsoft bread crumbs (see *note)
1/4 cupdiced onion
1/4 cupdiced green bell peppers
1 lb.ground beef, or ground pork (see *note)
5 mediumsize hard boiled eggs, peeled (see *note)
3/4 tsp.chili powder
1/4 tsp.dried, crushed, oregano leaves
1/8 tsp.dried, crushed, oregano leaves
How to Make Savory Scotch Meat Loaves
- In a mixing bowl, combine the beaten egg, bread crumbs, diced onion, diced green pepper, plus the salt and pepper.
- Add the ground beef or ground pork; mix well.
- Shape equal portions of the meat mixture around each hard boiled egg; completely enclosing the egg.
- Arrange the meat loaves in a 13x9x2-inch baking dish. (If I'm using 90% lean ground beef, I'll lightly grease the baking dish before adding the meat loaves.)
- Bake in a 350º oven for 30 minutes.
- While the meat loaves are baking in the oven, prepare the sauce.
- In a bowl, combine all of the sauce ingredients.
- Once the meat loaves have baked for 30 minutes, remove the baking dish from the oven, and discard any excess fat.
- Pour the sauce over the meat loaves, and return the baking dish to the oven.
- Continue baking the meat loaves in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Once the meat loaves are done baking, remove from baking dish and serve immediately.
- *Note: Sometimes when I'm mixing up the meat loaves, I'll substitute 1/4 cup to 1/3 cup of plain dried bread crumbs for the soft bread crumbs. I have also made the meat loaves using either 85% or 87% ground beef. Also, if desired, you can opt to make 4 meat loaves, by just using 4 large size hard boiled eggs, and shaping a 1/4 of the meat mixture around each hard boiled egg. Arrange the meat loaves in an 8 or 9-inch baking pan, and bake as stated in cooking instructions. Also, I did want to mention, when it comes to preparing the medium hard boiled eggs, I let the eggs come to a boil in a saucepan of water, I then remove the pan from the heat, cover the pan, and let the eggs sit for 9 minutes. Afterwards, I place the eggs in cold water (which I also added ice cubes to it), and let the eggs sit for 15 minutes. I then remove the eggs, peel them, rinse them under cold water, and pat them dry with paper toweling before I proceed to make the meatloaves.