Sausage stuffed squash
- squash - acorn or butternut, or one of each
- 1/2 c
- rice, long-grain/wild rice blend (i use lundbergs)
- 1 lb
- bulk sausage - pork or turkey
- maple syrup to drizzle
How to Make Sausage stuffed squash
- 1Cut squash in half. Scoop out seeds. Place cut-side down in a baking dish with enough water to come about 1/2 inch up the sides. Bake at 350deg for 30-40min. Take out and let cool.
- 2While squash is baking, cook rice according to directions.
- 3When rice is cooked and squash is cool enough to handle, scoop out the flesh of the squash into a bowl, leaving about 1 inch in the rind. Mix the cooked squash with the cooked rice and the sausage. Fill in the shells of the squash, drizzle with maple syrup to taste (1-2tbls over each maybe?) and bake in 350 oven for another 45min to an hour. Internal temp should be 165 by meat thermometer.
- 4Optional additions:
-- You can saute mushrooms and mix this in with the filling.
-- Add chopped apples (fine chop, about 1/4inch dice)
-- Add chopped onions to the mix, or saute them first and mix them in
-- Switch out the grains, use barley, buckwheat, amaranth or quinoa