Sausage Stuffed Shells
Blue Ribbon Recipe
This a a terrific variation of a stuffed shells recipe. The silky cream cheese is the perfect off-set for the slightly spicy sausage. A real winner! The Test Kitchen
- 8 oz
- jumbo pasta shells
- 24 oz jar(s)
- spaghetti sauce
- 1 lb
- hot, mild, or italian sausage
- 14.5 oz can(s)
- petite diced tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp
- italian seasoning
- 4 oz
- cream cheese
- 2 1/2 c
- mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 c
- parmesan cheese, shredded
- egg, beaten
How to Make Sausage Stuffed Shells
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Boil pasta according to package directions. Drain and cool on paper towel.
- 2Brown sausage in large skillet on medium heat. Drain fat and return skillet to stove. Ground beef may also be used. I prefer hot or Italian sausage.
- 3Add diced tomatoes, Italian seasoning, and cream cheese to skillet, continue cooking on medium heat until cream cheese is completely melted. (About 15-20 minutes).
- 4Pour contents of skillet into large mixing bowl. Add beaten egg, 2 cups mozzarella cheese, and parmesan cheese and mix thoroughly. Mixture may seem a little watery, but don't worry, it will thicken during baking.
- 5Spray a 9 x 13 pan with non-stick cooking spray. Spoon 3-4 tablespoons of spaghetti sauce into bottom of pan and spread around.
- 6Spoon meat mixture into each shell and place in pan. This recipe should make 16-18 shells. Pour remaining spaghetti sauce over the shells.
- 7Bake uncovered for 30 minutes. Remove from oven, spread remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese on top of shells, and return to oven for last 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- 8**Note - Optional ingredients that may be added to skillet include spinach, onions, mushrooms, depending on preference.