sausage, pepper, and onion heroes
- four italian style pork sausages
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- two bell peppers, preferably one red and one green, cored, seeded, and cut into 1/2 inch strips
- salt and pepper
- one medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- four hero rolls or italian bread cut into wedges, split
How to Make sausage, pepper, and onion heroes
- 1put the sausages in a medium skillet with 1/2 cup water. Cover the skillet and cook over medium heat until the water evaporates and the sausages begin to Brown. Uncover and cook, turning the sausages occasionally until browned on all sides. Remove the sausages to plate.
- 2Add the oil to the skillet and heat over medium heat. Add the peppers and salt and pepper to taste, cover and cook, stirring often until the peppers are softened, about 10 minutes. Add the onion and cook 10 minutes more, until the peppers are tender and lightly browned.
- 3Add the sausages to the pan, with a couple of tablespoons of water. Cover and cook five minutes more.
Open the rolls and pull out some of the soft crumb. Stuff the rolls with the sausages, peppers, and onions. Serve hot. Serves four.