Sausage and peppers
1 pkgsausage (farmer, chorizo, ukrainian, or garlic)
1 largered bell pepper
1 largeyellow bell pepper
1 largeorange bell pepper
1 mediumyellow cooking onion
·olive oil, extra virgin (for cooking)
1 Tbspparsley, italian
1 Tbspbasil, dried
1 Tbsporegano, dried
2-3 Tbspred chilies, dried
1/2 cwhite wine
dash(es)sea salt and black pepper, to taste
10-12grape tomatoes, halved
4-6portions of your favorite pasta or rice (i prefer to use fettucini)
A few dash(es)parmesan cheese (optional)
How to Make Sausage and peppers
- Slice the sausage into bite sized rounds, and set aside.
- Prepare the peppers in chunks approximately the same size as the sausage pieces, and set aside.
- Peel, quarter and separate the onion, and set aside.
- Mince the garlic.
- In your first pan, heat the olive oil and add the garlic, sauteing until it is a light golden color, then add in the onion. When the onion is translucent, add in the sausage and continue heating the mixture through (sauteing gently) on a medium heat.
- Once the sausage is about half way cooked (browned), start your water for the pasta. When the pasta goes in, add the herbs and spices to the sausage mixture; continuing to saute and brown.
- When the sausage is almost cooked through, add in the peppers, and a few minutes after that, the white wine.
- As the pasta is finishing, cover the sausage mixture and remove it from the heat (it will continue to simmer and cook the peppers).
- After the pasta is cooked and drained, place it in a large mixing bowl, add the grape tomato pieces, and toss it gently with the sausage mixture, and let stand for a few minutes.
- Serve with garlic bread, buns, or simply by itself. This meal pairs nicely with both red and white wine, and can be topped off with Parmesan cheese if desired.
- Sit back and revel in the compliments. I know I do! And yes, "can't talk, eating" is a compliment ;-)