Sauerkraut My Grandma's Way
2 lbsauerkraut, slightly drained, i use the bagged variety
3 largeonions, sliced
3-4apples, peeled and sliced
1/2 cbrown sugar, firmly packed
3-4 lbpork roast, boston butt or spare ribs
1 tspgranulated garlic with parsley
1/2 tspfreshly ground black pepper
How to Make Sauerkraut My Grandma's Way
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees.
- Layer slightly drained sauerkraut, sliced onions and apples in a large roasting pan. Sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Sprinkle salt, pepper and garlic over pork. Lay on top of sauerkraut. Cover roaster. Bake for 1 3/4 hours.
- Add kielbasa, cut into 2-3 inch pieces to roaster and continue baking for another 30 minutes.
- I serve this dish just like my grandma did. Mashed potatoes, homemade applesauce and a good dark rye along with a good beer. Not the prettiest dish color wise with everything being the same color, but delicious never the less.