Sauerkraut and Ribs
Sauerkraut and Ribs, a one pot meal. Hot buttery mashed potatoes is a must with this dish and maybe some rye bread and butter. Extra special when served with Homemade Apple Sauce on the side. YUM-OH!
- amount of ingredients depends on your needs.
- can, jar or small bag sauerkraut
- 1-2 lb
- pork spareribs, country style ribs (or your choice of pork ribs)
- 1 large
- apple, grated (i like honeycrisp)
- water, enough to cover ingredients
- pepper, to taste
How to Make Sauerkraut and Ribs
- 1Place ribs in a large pan, add enough water to cover ribs and season with pepper. Cover pan and bring to a boil, turn heat down and simmer until ribs are just tender (fork inserts easily but won't come out without resistance). Add sauerkraut and grated apple, add more water if needed. Cover and bring back to a boil, turn heat down and simmer until ribs are tender and starting to fall apart. Now they are done and ready to serve.
- 2VARIATION: Sliced onion can be added to the pot when the sauerkraut is added.
Instead of serving mashed potatoes with this meal the potatoes can be cut up in large chunks and added to the pot about 1/2 hr or so before meat is done.