Roast Pork with Sauerkraut and Dumplings
- 4-5 lb. pork loin (with or without bone)
- onion, cut into wedges
- 2 tsp
- garlic powder
- 1 tsp
- ground pepper
- 1 tsp
- salt (or to taste)
- 2 can(s)
- 4 c
- 2 c
How to Make Roast Pork with Sauerkraut and Dumplings
- 1Place pork roast in 13x9" roasting pan. Cut onion into wedges and tuck around roast in bottom of pan, and a few across the top. Sprinkle garlic powder, salt and pepper over roast. Bake @ 400 degrees for the first hour and then reduce heat to 350 degrees until done. (Note: You want the onions to caramelize so the juices are a nice dark brown when the roast is finished cooking. Adding 1/4 cup of water after the first hour helps attain this for you. These juices are for the sauerkraut & dumplings and the darker, the better!)
- 2In a large mixing bowl, measure 4 cups of flour. Make a well in the center of the flour and break the 4 eggs into the well. Begin stirring the eggs and drawing the flour into the egg as you stir. Gradually add the 2 cups of water. Sometimes it doesn't need quite the 2 cups... Stop adding water then the dough is fairly firm but sticky.
- 3Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in large pot. Using a soup spoon, scoop spoonfuls of the batter into the boiling water. Reduce the heat a tad and boil for 10 minutes. Watch the pot... this will foam up and start to spill over if not watched!
- 4Drain the dumplings and return them to the pot. Add the 2 cans of sauerkraut to the dumplings and simmer on low until the roast is ready to come out of the oven.
- 5The last and most important step... put the pork drippings and cooked onion into the sauerkraut & dumplings. This adds amazing flavor and the sauerkraut is a nice golden brown.
- 6We always have this with applesauce on the side. Makes it complete!