Red Bean and Sausage Gumbo
Mary R Morris1
- 1/2 cup of vegatable oil
- 1/2 cup of flour
- 1-stalk of celery (chopped )
- 1 medium onion (chopped )
- 3 pods of garlic or to taste (chopped)
- 1/2 green bell pepper (chopped)
- white part of the green onion-3
- 3-cans of of blue runner creole cream style red beans
- 3-cans of water or chicken broth
- smoked sausage,(i use 1 ring of regular johnsonville)
- ham seasoning-or ham bone with meat
- andouille sausage if you can find it( most major store carry it)
How to Make Red Bean and Sausage Gumbo
- 1First you make a roux,with the flour and the oil,till it is a rich brown color ,add chopped onions,shallots,bell pepper,garlic,smoked sausage,ham seasoning and andouille sausage.Cook at medium to low heat for 10-15 minutes.Add about 4 cups of water and simmer gently.
- 2While the above is simmering ,put the Blue Runner Creol Cream Style Red Beans ,with one can of water or chicken broth per can in the blender or food processor to liquify.(I do this one can at a time ,less mess)After the beans or liquifed ,pour beans in the pot with other ingredients and bring to a boil.Mixture can be thined by adding a little more water.Let simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour ..Stir and do not let scorch .You can add file if you want it just before serving....Some folks like a chopped boiled egg served on top.Season to taste and serve over rice or eat with French Bread or Crackers..I like hot sauce with mine....You can use chicken in it or shrimp .This is gumbo use what ever meat you like....
- 3Personal ,this recipe can be doubled or even tripled ,if you like .When my brothers or here ,I double the recipe .Just double all the ingredients.