If you want the tamer version (known as Armadillo Eggs), use only about 1/3 of a jalapeño in each, and leave off the black pepper.
Sometimes the Polish sausage isn't available. I will try this with regular pan sausage (like Jimmy Dean), and report back with my findings.
- jalapenos, fresh
- 2 lb
- bulk polish sausage
- 6 oz
- cream cheese
- 6 slice
- freshly ground black pepper
How to Make Rattlesnake Eggs
- 1Cut off stem end of jalapeño; remove seeds. Cut peppers in half lengthwise. Stuff each jalapeño half with cream cheese, then freeze them for at least 30 minutes.
- 2When you are ready to cook, encase each filled, frozen pepper half in one-sixth of the sausage, being certain to completely encase the cream cheese. Wrap each "egg" in a slice of bacon.
- 3Generously sprinkle each "egg" with with paprika and freshly ground black pepper. Place in a baking dish (lined with foil, if desired, to aid clean-up) or on a broiling pan or on a grill.
- 4Bake at 350 degrees F for 35 - 45 minutes. Remove to paper towels to drain excess grease before serving.