Pretzel Bacon Burger from scratch!
- 1 lb
- 1 lb
- ground beef
- 1 1/4 c
- warm water
- 1 pkg
- dry yeast (not instant)
- 4 1/2 c
- ap flour
- 2 tsp
- sea salt
- 4 Tbsp
- butter, melted
- 1/4 c
- baking soda
- egg (beaten)
- 1/4 c
- kosher salt
- 8 slice
- cheddar cheese
- other burger condiments as desired
How to Make Pretzel Bacon Burger from scratch!
- 1Let's make the buns first. Combine water, yeast, and sugar. Stir and let rest 5-7 minutes, it should look frothy. Don't forget to use fresh yeast. Old yeast will not froth.
- 2Add the flour, salt, and melted butter and knead until combined well. Cover with a hot damp towel and let it rise in a warm place for about 1 hour or until doubled. While we wait for the dough to rise, let's make our burger.
- 3Pulverize all of the bacon in a food processor until the consistency matches the ground beef. The idea is to get the bacon incorporated throughout the beef so they become one. Once the bacon is minced, add to the ground beef and hand mix until well combined. Don't over mix otherwise your burgers will be tough.
- 4Once your dough has risen, punch it down and form into 8 uniform balls and then press down slightly on each ball to form a round bun shape. Preheat your oven at this time to 425F.
- 5Bring a large pot of water to a slow boil. Then slowly add the baking soda. Drop 2 buns at a time into the boiling baking soda water. Each side needs about a minute, it's a fast process so having an extra set of helping hands will make the process go smoother.
- 6As each bun comes out of the water, brush egg wash over each bun with a pastry brush and sprinkle kosher salt. The egg wash will help the salt stick to the buns. Once all the buns have completed their baking soda bath, place on a baking sheet and bake for about 15 min.
- 7As your buns are baking, shape your burger patties and cook them on the grill until done. Once your buns are done baking, slice them in half. Place the cooked patty on the bun and top with lettuce, tomato, and any other burger toppings you like.