POZOLE-GUADALAJARA, JALISCO STYLE
- 2 1/2 lb
- stewing pork.
- 2 lb
- pork neck bones.
- 3 clove
- fresh garlic-finely diced.
- 1 medium
- onion, cut 1/3 of onion and save 2/3 and finely dice.
- 1/2 small
- green cabbage, finely sliced.
- radishes, finely diced.
- yellow lemons or mexican lemons, cut into wedges.
- 1 can(s)
- hominy i use el mexicano brand 28 oz, you can use yellow or white, i use white.
- 1/3 c
- gebhardts chili powder.
- salt ( i use natrual sea salt ).
- 1 bottle
- mexican salsa, i use valentinas, or whatever you like.
How to Make POZOLE-GUADALAJARA, JALISCO STYLE
- 1COOKING THE MEAT.
- 2Trim off fat of stewing pork as much as possible and cut into 1 inch size, rinse well and place in a large bowel with cold water.
- 3pork neck bones should be in sizes of 2-3 inches. Trim off fat of meat on the neck bones as much as possible and place in bowel with the stewing pork. make sure all is submerged in cold water. This is very important, soak for 20 minutes.
- 4After meat and neck bones have soaked for 20 min. rinse them 3 times, till water is clear.
- 5place meats in 6qt pan and cover with cold water. water level must be approx. 4 inches above submerged meats.
- 6add salt- estimate for your taste. I use natural sea salt.
- 7add 1/3 onion,and diced garlic.
- 8Bring to a fast and hard boil,then
reduce heat to a gentle boil. After approx. 15 min of gentle boiling. remove and scoop off the gray foam that has appeared on the top. And taste for salt, if more is needed, add to your taste.
- 9Boil for approx. 2 hours, till meat is very tender. you might have some of the meat fall off of 1 or 2 neck bones, but not more than that. If during the boiling the meat needs more water, add hot water and continue boiling.
- 10When meat is tender as described above, you should end up with approx. 1-2 inches of broth above the meat. you can leave more broth if you like.
- 11Open the can of hominy and drain the liquid.
Add the hominy to the broth. Be careful you do not splash yourself with the broth and burn yourself. You can also add an additional can of hominy if you like more hominy now.
- 12Add the 1/3 cup of gebhardts chili powder. You can also substitute new mexico and calif. dry chili pods. I prefer the taste of gebhardts chili and think it is better.
- 13Continue boiling gently for approx. 15 mins. till the foam that appears on the top disappears.
- 15Place your diced radishes, dice onions, wedges of lemons, shredded cabbage in individual table containers on the table.
Serve your pozole in bowels and then add cabbage, radishes,onions and squeeze lemon over the top to your taste. add a dash of bottled salsa to your taste or you can omit the salsa, it will still taste wonderful.
- 16This pozole is even better after is it cooked the next day, I guess it is because everything blends in.
Enjoy this wonderful dish from Guadaljara. Eat with warm corn or flour tortillas.