Pork Chops Stuffed With Feta, Basil & Almonds
2lean, boneless pork chops, about 1/2
STUFFING FOR PORK CHOPS
1/4 cfeta cheese, crumbled
1/4 tsplemon zest
1/4 cchopped almonds
1/4 tspfresh, chopped basil
1/4 tspchopped dried craisins
1/2 tspdijon mustard
2 tspapricot preserves
2 Tbspunseasoned bread crumbs, fresh
·spray butter or spray canola oil
How to Make Pork Chops Stuffed With Feta, Basil & Almonds
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Pat pork chops dry. Trim off excess fat around edges. Holding palm of one hand firmly flat on top of a chop, use a sharp knife with a sweeping motion to split the chop horizontally and form a pocket. Take care not to cut thru the back or sides or bottom of the chop. Repeat w/ second chop. Set aside on a platter.
- In a med. bowl, mix together the feta, lemon zest, chopped almonds, basil, craisins, dijon, & thyme. Stir to blend well.
- Stuff the mixture into each chop, pressing it deep into the pocket. Place chops back onto platter.
- Spread apricot preserves on top of each chop. Then sprinkle with the unseasoned bread crumbs, pressing the bread crumbs into the preserves. Spritz the top of the crumbs w/ spray butter or spray canola oil.
- Spray a baking dish with PAM or canola oil. Using a large spatula, transfer the chops from the platter to the prepared baking dish. (If you put the chops into the baking dish before sprinkling the bread crumbs on top, you'll have a mess of bread crumbs in the bottom of the dish that might burn, once you bake the chops).
- Bake chops for 35 - 40 minutes, testing for doneness when thermometer inserted into meat reaches 170° (don't put thermometer into the stuffing; you want to read the MEAT temperature).
- Remove chops from oven when done, and let them sit for just a few minutes, so the stuffing will set up & cool a bit.