Pork BBQ, Carolina Style
★★★★★ 1 vote5
3-5 lbpork shoulder
1 1/2 capple cider vinegar
1 1/2 Tbspfrank's hot sauce
2 Tbspcayenne pepper
2 Tbspcrushed red peppers
2 Tbspbrown sugar
·salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Pork BBQ, Carolina Style
- Place meat in a slow cooker or an ovenproof pot and salt and pepper to season. Pour in the vinegar and cook 12 hours on low or 5 hours on high in the crock pot or slow cooker. If you use a pot, simmer on the stove or in the oven (350^) until meat falls off the bone or simply falls apart.
- Remove meat to a platter and strain the broth, saving 2 cups of the liquid, discarding the rest of the broth. To the 2 cups of reserved broth, add the hot sauce, cayenne, crushed red pepper and brown sugar, stirring well to dissolve sugar.
- Shred meat with 2 forks and put back into the pot or slow cooker and add the broth and let heat through.
- Serve on toasted buns with sweet pickle relish or a relish of your choice. We like the sweet pickle relish the best.
- This freezes well. Freeze in individual portions for a quick sandwich. Just reheat in the microwave.