- 8 oz bulk italian sausage
- 2 tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 2 cups sliced button mushrooms
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 lb. sliced artison style white bread
- 3 cupsw shredded provolone cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup purchased pizza sauce, divided
- 10 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- salt and black pepper
How to Make Pizza Strata
- 1Preheat oven to 350. Coat the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- 2Cook sausage in 1 Tbsp. oil in large pan over medium high heat til cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes. transfer sausage to a paper towel lined plate. Saute mushrooms, onion, and bell pepper in 1 Tbsp. oil in same pan til softened, 6 to 7 minutes. Toss sausage and vegetables together in a bowl.
- 3Cover bottom of prepared baking dish with layer of bread, cutting slices as needed to fill in spaces. top bread with half the sausage mixture, 1 cup provolone and 1/4 cup pizza sauce. Cover mixture with another layer of bread and remaining sausage mixture, provolone and sauce.
- 4Blend eggs and milk til mixed. Season with salt and pepper. Pour egg mixture over layers in baking dish. Cover strata with plastic wrap, gently pressing to encourage absorption. Refrigerate at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours. Remove plastic wrap before baking.
- 5Bake strata, uncovered, til puffy and cooked through (160 degrees) about 1 hour. Let strata stand 10 minutes before serving. Serves 12