Italian Sausage Pizza Pot Pie
- 2 lb
- italian sausage, sweet
- 2 lb
- italian sausage, hot
- 2-3 clove
- garlic, minced, to your taste
- 4 1/2 c
- tomato sauce, spicy
- 2 c
- ricotta cheese
- 1/2 c
- parmesan, freshly grated
- 2 1/2 Tbsp
- oregano, dried
- 4 c
- mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 c
- black or green olives, optional
- 1 can(s)
- refrigerated pizza dough
- 3/4 c
- parsley, chopped
How to Make Italian Sausage Pizza Pot Pie
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a heavy skillet saute sausages and minced garlic until brown; drain well and transfer to a bowl.
Stir spicy tomato sauce into the sausages and reserve.
Mix ricotta, parmesan, 1/2 cup of parsley, 2 tablespoons of oregano, 1 egg, and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- 2In a rectangular ovenproof dish, about 9 by 13 inches, spread half of the sausage mixture; dot this with half of the ricotta mixture and sprinkle 2 cups of the mozzarella evenly over the entire surface. Add olives if using.
Sprinkle with 1/2 of the remaining parsley and half of the remaining oregano; repeat.
- 3Roll out three-quarters of the dough to a thickness of about 1/3 inch, being certain the dough is about 1 inch larger than the pan all the way around; transfer dough to top of pizza and tuck in excess all around. Cut slits or designs in dough to allow steam to escape.
Beat remaining egg with 1 tablespoon water and brush some of it on top of crust.
Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the edges are bubbling.
Let pizza stand for 30 minutes before cutting.
- 4Roll out remaining dough and use it to form bread sticks if you like. Brush with butter and sprinkle with garlic salt. Bake for 12-15 minutes dring last part of pizza baking time. Baking time will depend on how thick you make the bread sticks so check as they bake.