1 - 2 lbpork butt roast w/ fat intact cut in large bites
3 - 4 smalleggplant cut in 4ths lengthwise
3 smallamapalya (bitter melons) sliced and de seeded
5 - 7 mediumokra cut in half lengthwise
2 - 4 Tbspbagoong isda or bagoong alamang
5 mediumtomatoes sliced in large pieces
1 -2 bunchfilipino greens or use kale or mustard greens ribbon cut
1/2 lblong green beens cut or whole
10squash blossoms rinsed
2 mediumwhite onion diced
4 largecloves garlic minced
1 Tbspfresh ginger minced or grated no need to remove skin
6long chili peppers (these are not very hot) cut in half lengthwise
How to Make Pinakbet
- In a heavy dutch oven, heat oil and fry the pork until browned, remove the pork from the pan and set aside. do not drain drippings.
- In the same pan, saute garlic, onion, ginger, long pepper and tomatoes. but don't let it burn. Burnt ginger is bad...
- In a sauce pan, boil 1 - 2 cups water and add bagoong.(found at most Asian food stores)
- Add the pork and bagoon mix back into the dutch oven with the sautéed garlic, onion, ginger and tomatoes and Bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 minutes. Keep an eye on moisture level so it doesn't burn.
- Add in all the other vegetables and cook until the vegetables are done, careful not to overcook.
- Salt and pepper to taste I use soyu
- Serve hot with white pearl rice or over quinua.