- 1 - 2 lb
- pork butt roast w/ fat intact cut in large bites
- 3 - 4 small
- eggplant cut in 4ths lengthwise
- 3 small
- amapalya (bitter melons) sliced and de seeded
- 5 - 7 medium
- okra cut in half lengthwise
- 2 - 4 Tbsp
- bagoong isda or bagoong alamang
- 5 medium
- tomatoes sliced in large pieces
- 1 -2 bunch
- filipino greens or use kale or mustard greens ribbon cut
- 1/2 lb
- long green beens cut or whole
- squash blossoms rinsed
- 2 medium
- white onion diced
- 4 large
- cloves garlic minced
- 1 Tbsp
- fresh ginger minced or grated no need to remove skin
- long chili peppers (these are not very hot) cut in half lengthwise
How to Make Pinakbet
- 1In a heavy dutch oven, heat oil and fry the pork until browned, remove the pork from the pan and set aside. do not drain drippings.
- 2In the same pan, saute garlic, onion, ginger, long pepper and tomatoes. but don't let it burn. Burnt ginger is bad...
- 3In a sauce pan, boil 1 - 2 cups water and add bagoong.(found at most Asian food stores)
- 4Add the pork and bagoon mix back into the dutch oven with the sautéed garlic, onion, ginger and tomatoes and Bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 minutes. Keep an eye on moisture level so it doesn't burn.
- 5Add in all the other vegetables and cook until the vegetables are done, careful not to overcook.
- 6Salt and pepper to taste I use soyu
- 7Serve hot with white pearl rice or over quinua.