Pig's Stomach (Hog Maw)
My son threw a fit today that I was making this and insisted he was not going to eat it. As he smelled the flavors all day, he converted & just finished a big plate of it. :)
- pig's stomach (ask your butcher to save one)
- 2 lb
- smoked sausage (get from a butcher, if you can -- better taste)
- large potatoes, with peel on, in bite-sized chunks
- carrots. cut in chunks, or half package of baby carrots
- 4 Tbsp
- fresh curly parsley
- onion, chopped in large chunks
- cabbage, chopped (optional)
How to Make Pig's Stomach (Hog Maw)
- 1Rinse the pig stomach & pat dry. (It's gross, I know, but the flavor is worth it!)
- 2Toss all your chopped veggies (I do large chunks) in a mixing bowl & stir. Try to get as much casing off your smoked sausage as you can & then add that, crumbling it up as you're mixing. (You can use fresh ground sausage, if you prefer, but I love the smoked flavor!) Add the parsley & some fresh ground pepper. (I never salt this dish!)
- 3Stuff the stomach with the mixture, as best you can, making sure not to overfill it, in a large baking dish or Dutch Oven. Add the rest of the sausage mixture all around the stomach, but not on top of it.
- 4Add 1/2 cup of water (if I have left over beef or chicken broth, I use that instead of the water).
- 5Bake @ 350 for 2 hours, covered, and then 30 minutes uncovered. I usually add about another 1/2 cup of water after an hour or so. When it's finished, I take a fork & then cut the stomach open to get all the stuffing. I discard the stomach, but a lot of people cut into it & eat. (NOT me!) Enjoy!