DRIED VENISON OR SMOKED PORK BUTTS OR LOIN
Peggi Anne Tebben
While picture appears raw, it is actually not. It is fully cooked & cured.
We also make smoked pork butts or smoked pork loins with this same recipe, only smoke until the internal temperature is lower.
- 27 lb
- deer roasts
- 14 oz
- ** dry seasoning (sweeter than sweet, premium cure/ nitrate)
- 1/2 gal
- cold water
How to Make DRIED VENISON OR SMOKED PORK BUTTS OR LOIN
- 1Use deer roasts cut from the hind quarters & loins of deer. Trim & remove all outer silver skin.
- 2Mix dry seasoning & water in gallon pail. **Can get dry seasoning from Sausage Maker, online. We buy ours in Des Moines, but I see now that Sausage Maker has it.
- 3Put meat in net bags for hanging & smoking. Inject liquid into meat from every angle so that it is thoroughly distributed inside the meat. Cure in fridge in covered container for 7 days. I put these in a deep hotel pan & cover the pan with plastic wrap & then invert a shallow hotel pan on top of it.
- 5Smoke meat @ 130 ° for 2 ½ hours, With smoke on it.Take away the smoke chips,& increase temperature to 175° for 6 more hours or so until internal temperature of meat is 156°. Hams should only be about 136°. May take longer. May take less.
- 6Take meat off & immerse meat in a sink of ice water to bring the internal temp. of meat down, to stop the cooking process. When cooled off, drain & return to fridge to cool overnight. Next day, remove the netting & slice thin on electric slicer. Slice against the grain, not with the grain. I freeze in 1# pkgs. Double wrap with freezer paper or vacuum pack it.
- 8ALSO POR LOIN: Follow all steps above , except temp. should be 140°. The loins, we slice thin & freeze also & when ready to use, just heat in oven on a broiler pan with water in the lower pan & cover with foil, to just steam it slightly. Then place several heated slices on warm hamburger bun or hoagie & slather with thin, warmed BBQ sauce, like at Arby's.