- 1 1/4 lb
- bulk hot italian sausage
- 3 can(s)
- (14.5 oz each) italian-herb diced tomatoes (51/4 cups/1.2 l), divided
- 12 oz
- (350 g) uncooked orecchiette pasta
- 2 1/2 c
- (625 ml) water
- 4 small
- garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 tsp
- (5 ml) crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp
- (2 ml) salt
- 2 c
- (500 ml) grape tomatoes
- 1 oz
- (30 g) parmesan cheese, grated (about 1/4 cup packed)
- 5 oz
- (150 g) fresh baby spinach leaves (about 8 cups/2 l)
How to Make Orecchiette with Spinach, Sausage & Tomatoes
- 11. Cook sausage in (12-in./30-cm) Skillet over medium-high heat 8-10 minutes, breaking into crumbles with Mix ‘N Chop . Drain canned tomatoes using large Colander into large Bowl; reserve 1 cup (250 mL) of the tomato liquid for later use in the recipe.
- 21. Add drained canned tomatoes, tomato liquid from large Bowl, pasta, water, pressed garlic, pepper flakes, if desired, and salt to Skillet. Cover and cook 13-15 minutes or until pasta is tender, stirring occasionally.
- 31. Meanwhile, cut grape tomatoes in half using Utility Knife. Grate cheese using Microplane® Adjustable Grater. Add grape tomatoes, spinach and reserved 1 cup (250 mL) tomato liquid to Skillet. Cook 1-2 minutes or until spinach is wilted, stirring constantly. Sprinkle with cheese.
Yield: 6 servings
Nutrients per serving: Calories 470, Total Fat 16 g, Saturated Fat 6 g, Cholesterol 30 mg, Carbohydrate 57 g, Protein 22 g, Sodium 1370 mg, Fiber 6 g U.S. Diabetic exchanges per serving: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 11/2 low-fat meat, 2 fat (3 carb)
Cook's Tips: Breaking the sausage into crumbles with the Mix ‘N Chop helps it to cook more quickly and evenly.
Orecchiette means “little ears” in Italian. It is a small round pasta with a slight dome in the center. Campanelle pasta can be substituted, if desired.
For a milder dish, mild or sweet Italian sausage can be used. Italians sausage links with the casings removed can be substituted for the bulk sausage.