Orecchiette With Broccoli Rabe and Sausage
1/4 colive oil
4garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
1 lbsweet italian sausage, cut into bite-size pieces
1 lbbroccoli rabe, cooked
1 cbroccoli rabe water
1 lborecchiette pasta
1 ptgrape or small cherry tomatoes
1/2 pttoasted pine nuts
1 Tbspdried red pepper flakes
·freshly-grated pecorino romano cheese
·salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Orecchiette With Broccoli Rabe and Sausage
- Remove any tough outer or damaged leaves of the broccoli rabe. Cut off the stems and tear the leaves into large pieces (about 3 to 4 inches). Wash in a sink filled with cold water. Shake off excess water.
- Place broccoli rabe in a deep saucepan with cold water to cover by about 2 inches. Bring just to a simmer over high heat. As soon as bubbles appear at the sides of the pan, remove it from the heat.
- Remove 1 cup of cooking water and set aside. Drain the rest.
- Heat oil and stir in garlic in a large saute pan over medium heat (don't burn the garlic!). Add the sausages and saute until meat is cooked and loses its raw look.
- Salt and pepper to taste, and saute one minute.
- Add the rabe water, grape tomatoes and red pepper flakes.
- Raise heat and cook until sauce is hot. Once hot, reduce to medium.
- Meanwhile, cook orecchiette in rapidly boiling water until al dente.
- Drain orecchiette and add to the broccoli rabe and sausage sauce and toss with a wooden spoon.
- Remove from heat, add pine nuts and pour into a large serving platter or bowl. Spoon remaining sauce over the top. Sprinkle with Pecorino Romano cheese.