Orecchiette With Broccoli Rabe and Sausage
- 1/4 c
- olive oil
- garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1 lb
- sweet italian sausage, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 lb
- broccoli rabe, cooked
- 1 c
- broccoli rabe water
- 1 lb
- orecchiette pasta
- 1 pt
- grape or small cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 pt
- toasted pine nuts
- 1 Tbsp
- dried red pepper flakes
- freshly-grated pecorino romano cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Orecchiette With Broccoli Rabe and Sausage
- 1Remove any tough outer or damaged leaves of the broccoli rabe. Cut off the stems and tear the leaves into large pieces (about 3 to 4 inches). Wash in a sink filled with cold water. Shake off excess water.
- 2Place broccoli rabe in a deep saucepan with cold water to cover by about 2 inches. Bring just to a simmer over high heat. As soon as bubbles appear at the sides of the pan, remove it from the heat.
- 3Remove 1 cup of cooking water and set aside. Drain the rest.
- 4Heat oil and stir in garlic in a large saute pan over medium heat (don't burn the garlic!). Add the sausages and saute until meat is cooked and loses its raw look.
- 5Salt and pepper to taste, and saute one minute.
- 6Add the rabe water, grape tomatoes and red pepper flakes.
- 7Raise heat and cook until sauce is hot. Once hot, reduce to medium.
- 8Meanwhile, cook orecchiette in rapidly boiling water until al dente.
- 9Drain orecchiette and add to the broccoli rabe and sausage sauce and toss with a wooden spoon.
- 10Remove from heat, add pine nuts and pour into a large serving platter or bowl. Spoon remaining sauce over the top. Sprinkle with Pecorino Romano cheese.