Norma's Stuffed Maple/Sausage Acorn Squash for Two
1 to 2acorn squash
1/2 to 1 lbloose fresh pork sausage
1(6 ounce) box of pepperidge farm or any brand one step stuffing with sage mix
4 Tbsppure maple syrup
·salt & pepper to taste
How to Make Norma's Stuffed Maple/Sausage Acorn Squash for Two
- Preheat your oven at 350.
- Wash and cut in half one acorn squash and trim bottoms so they will sit flat.
- Scoop out seeds and discard or toast them as you would pumpkin seeds and serve them with a side salad.
- Place acorn sqush halves on a sheet pan or in a shallow pan and salt and pepper to taste and pour 1/2 cup water into pan.
- Place a tablespoon of pure maple syrup into squash cavity and brush around top of squash with a pastry brush and set aside.
- Mix your stuffing mix as directed on side of the box and set aside.
- Place a non-stick pan on medium heat and add 1/2 pound of sausage and cook until browned.
- Add onion, stir and cook until onions are clear.
- Mix sausage and onion into prepared stuffing mix along with two tablespoons of pure maple syrup and mix well.
- Place a heaping amount of sausage/stuffing mix into each squach cavity until it is filled.
- Place squash in hot oven and bake for 45 minutes, or until squash is tender when pierced with a fork.
- Half way into baking; when the stuffing was turning brown I covered the squash with a foil tent to prevent the stuffing mix from becoming too brown and to help tenderize the squash.
- Uncover the squash and test the squash for tenderness.
- Remove from oven and serve as a one dish meal or add your favorite salad along with the toasted squash seeds.
- NOTE: When making only for two you will have leftover stuffing. I plan on stuffing two green peppers tomorrow with it for dinner.
- * For large or thick squash I place them cut side down on a pan with sides, add water and place in the oven to bake while I'm making the stuffing. I found that some times this is needed to soften the squash or it takes longer for them to bake after filling them. MMMMMM they are sooooo good!