Neck Bone Stew
I've tasted them already and I say they're "family approved"
- 1 lb neck bones
- salt,pepper,garlic powder,onion powder,to taste
- chicken broth or water
- 1 onion,sliced
- 3 medium carrots,peeled and sliced
- 3-4 garlic cloves,sliced
- 2-3 potatoes,peeled,quartered
- butter or oil
- broth(from cooking neck bones)
How to Make Neck Bone Stew
- 1Wash neck bones,Season with salt,pepper,garlic powder and onion powder. Place in a pot and cover with broth or water. ( I used unsalted homemade chicken broth) Cover,cook on medium heat about 2 hours,until meat is almost tender. In a skillet,make gravy,using the broth the neck bones are cooking in to make the gravy.Uncover the pot,add gravy,onion,carrots garlic and potatoes to the neck bones,continue cooking until vegetables are tender and gravy is slightly thickened. If gravy is too thick,add additional broth or water. If not thick enough,make a slurry by combining 1 Tablespoon butter with 1 T flour well combined,stir a little into pot at a time until as thick as you like.Check for seasoning.
- 2To make gravy;heat 3-4 teaspoons of oil or butter to skillet,when hot and melted,add 2-3 teaspoons flour,stir over medium-low heat until flour is lightly brown,slowly add 2 c broth stirring well to prevent any lumps