moms pineapple teriyaki spareribs
- two slabs whole spareribs, about 4 pounds each
- rib rub number 99, as needed, recipe follows
- pineapple teriyaki sauce:
- one can crushed pineapple with juice, 20 ounces
- 1 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup of your favorite barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- juice of one lemon
- 1 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
How to Make moms pineapple teriyaki spareribs
- 1at least a half-hour and up to four hours before you plan to cook the ribs, peel the membrane off the back of the ribs and cut the flap off. Trim any excess fat. Season the ribs liberally on both sides with a rib rub. Refrigerate.
- 2To make the teriyaki sauce, put the pineapple and the juice in a medium pan over medium heat. Add the molasses, barbecue sauce, soy sauce, vinegar, lemon juice, and pepper. Mix well and bring to a simmer. Cook for two minutes, stirring often. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- 3Prepare the grill for cooking over indirect heat at 275° using apple or cherry wood for flavor. Place the ribs, meaty side up, directly on the cooking grate and close the lid. Cook the ribs for two hours. Flip and cook for another 30 minutes. Transfer to a platter.
- 4Lay out two big double layered sheets of heavy duty foil, each long enough to wrap a whole slab of ribs. Transfer the ribs to the foil, meaty side up. Top each slab of ribs with one fourth of the sauce, spreading it to cover the entire slab. Fold the foil up around the ribs into a packet. Seal the packets snugly, being careful not to puncture the foil with the bones. Return to the grill for one hour. Transfer the foil packets to a platter. Remove the ribs from the foil and return to the cooking grate. Cook for 30 minutes then flip, and spoon 1/2 cup of the sauce on the bone side of the ribs, spreading evenly to cover the ribs. Cook for another 30 minutes and will begin. Top with the remaining sauce and cook for about another 30 minutes or to your desired degree of doneness. Check for doneness I sticking a toothpick down into the meat, between the bones. It should slide in easily. Transfer the ribs, meaty side down, to a cutting board. With a sharp knife cut through the slab completely at each rib. Flip the ribs back over and transfer them to a platter. Serves 4 to 6.
- 5rib rub number 99:
3/4 cup sugar in the raw
1/2 cup salt
1/4 cup paprika
2 tablespoons finely ground black pepper
1 tablespoon granulated garlic
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
mix all ingredients well and store in an airtight container. Makes about 1 1/2 cups