★★★★★ 1 vote5
1 1/4 lbpork shoulder, cut into 1 inch cubes
1/2 cchopped onion
1 largegarlic clove, chopped
1 1/2 tsporegano, dried
3/4 tspeach - ground cumin & salt
1 can(s)16 oz - of tomatoes
1 can(s)7-14oz can of green chilis, depending on your taste
1/2 cwater - optional
How to Make Mexican Stew
- Heat oil and brown pork*, onion, and garlic in a Dutch oven, pour off drippings. Drain chilies ~ reserving the liquid ~ add to pork.
(*I also have used beef stew meat)
- Combine oregano, cumin, & salt ~ sprinkle over pork mixture. Mix thoroughly. Add tomatoes & water ~ stir to combine.
You can add a tsp of fennel seed if you like the taste.
- Cover tightly & simmer 1 hour 15 minutes or until pork is tender.
I put this meal in a slow cooker and cook on low all day.
- Combine the cornstarch & reserved chili liquid, gradually stir into stew and cook uncovered until thickened.
If using a slow cooker, turn on high and cook to desired consistancy.
- Garnish with sour cream and green onion.
Can be served over corn bread or rice.