- cornmeal pizza dough or regular pizza dough either store bought or homemade
- 1 pound bulk chorizo, italian sausage, or pork sausage,
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- one jar salsa or picante sauce, 16 ounces
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro, optional
- one can pinto beans, rinsed and drained, 15 ounces
- two cans whole green chile peppers, cut into strips, 4 ounces each
- 2 cups shredded cojak cheese, 8 ounces
How to Make Mexicali pizza
- 1make the cornmeal pizza dough or use store bought. Grease two 11 -- 13 inch pizza pans or baking sheets. On a lightly floured surface, roll each half of dough into a circle 1 inch larger than pizza pan. Transfer dough to pans. Build up edges slightly. Prick generously with fork. Do not let rise. Bake in a 425° oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned.
- 2Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook chorizo or sausage and onion until meat is browned and onion is tender. Drain fat. Pat with paper towels to remove additional fat.
- 3Spread salsa or picante sauce over hot crust. Sprinkle with cilantro if desired. Top with chorizo mixture and Pinto beans. Arrange green Chile pepper strips on top of the chorizo mixture and beans. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake about 12 minutes more or until cheese out and sauce is bubbly. Makes six servings.