Meaty Stuffed Eggplant
1(1 1/2 pound) eggplant, halved lengthwise
1 Tbspolive oil
2cloves garlic, minced
1medium onion, finely chopped
1/2 lbground italian sausage
1/2 lblean ground beef
1/2 tsporegano, dried
1/8 tspblack pepper
2eggs, slightly beaten
1/2 cparmesan cheese, grated
2 cmozzarella cheese,
·marinara sauce, heated - optional
How to Make Meaty Stuffed Eggplant
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Brush cut sides of eggplant with olive oil and place, cut-side up onto a baking sheet. Roast in preheated oven for 30 minutes, then remove and allow to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, in the olive oil, sauté the garlic and onions together. When softened add ground beef and sausage, oregano and pepper. Brown until no longer pink. Drain and set aside to cool slightly.
- Once the roasted eggplant has cooled enough to handle, scoop out the flesh to within 1/2-inch of the skin to create a shell. Roughly chop the eggplant meat, and fold into the sausage/beef mixture.
- Mix breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese into the meat mixture and add the eggs, blend well.
Divide evenly among the two eggplant shells with the meat mixture and top with the mozzarella cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees, in a preheated oven until the filling has set, and the cheese is bubbly and golden-brown, about 30 minutes. Just before the eggplant is done, warm the marinara sauce in a saucepan over medium-low heat or in the microwave to serve with the eggplant.