Meaty Stuffed Eggplant
I needed two eggplant recipes for a contest and this is the other one. I took a recipe I posted a while ago for stuffed zucchini's and tried it on the eggplant. The results were as good with the eggplant as it was with the zucchini! Loved it also! Had to adjust some things including the oven temp but I really love this stuffing and the eggplant was easier to use as they are bigger. It is very filling and with a side of Marinara and some garlic bread, it makes a delicious meal! Enjoy!
- (1 1/2 pound) eggplant, halved lengthwise
- 1 Tbsp
- olive oil
- cloves garlic, minced
- medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 lb
- ground italian sausage
- 1/2 lb
- lean ground beef
- 1/2 tsp
- oregano, dried
- 1/8 tsp
- black pepper
- eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/2 c
- parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 c
- 2 c
- mozzarella cheese,
- marinara sauce, heated - optional
How to Make Meaty Stuffed Eggplant
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Brush cut sides of eggplant with olive oil and place, cut-side up onto a baking sheet. Roast in preheated oven for 30 minutes, then remove and allow to cool slightly.
- 2Meanwhile, in a skillet, in the olive oil, sauté the garlic and onions together. When softened add ground beef and sausage, oregano and pepper. Brown until no longer pink. Drain and set aside to cool slightly.
- 3Once the roasted eggplant has cooled enough to handle, scoop out the flesh to within 1/2-inch of the skin to create a shell. Roughly chop the eggplant meat, and fold into the sausage/beef mixture.
- 4Mix breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese into the meat mixture and add the eggs, blend well.
Divide evenly among the two eggplant shells with the meat mixture and top with the mozzarella cheese.
- 5Bake at 350 degrees, in a preheated oven until the filling has set, and the cheese is bubbly and golden-brown, about 30 minutes. Just before the eggplant is done, warm the marinara sauce in a saucepan over medium-low heat or in the microwave to serve with the eggplant.
About Meaty Stuffed Eggplant
You May Also Like:
Show 36 Comments & Reviews