LIMA BEANS W/JOWLS OR SALT PORK (SALLYE)
Note: This ain't your diet food, but it is so worth the calories you ingest. LOL
- 2 lb
- dried large lima beans
- 1 stick
- 1/2 to 1 lb
- ssalt pork (or hog jowls)
- 1 gal
- 2 Tbsp
- black pepper
- 2 Tbsp
- kosher or sea salt
How to Make LIMA BEANS W/JOWLS OR SALT PORK (SALLYE)
- 1Wash beans thoroughly, picking through to remove any stones or other foreign objects (such as dirt clods)
Put beans in crockpot with 1 gallon water (or more if needed to cover to about 2" above level of dried beans.
Turn crockpot on to high
- 2Sear hog jowls in heavy skillet, then transfer to crockpot with beans
Add stick of butter
- 3Continue cooking on high for approximately one hour, checking to make sure beans are still completely covered by water
Dried beans will absorb a lot of water while cooking
At this time, add salt and pepper and stir well to blend
- 4Turn crockpot to medium or low and cook for 6-8 hours until beans are tender and thickened into a sort of soup.
- 5Good served with cornbread and fresh green or sliced onions.