Köttbulle Svenska (Swedish Meatballs)
These Swedish meatballs do have more of an American twist on them, as they are served submerged in white gravy as opposed to sided with brown gravy, but they are no less utsökt!
NOTE: I've always served my köttbulle with egg noodles, but authentically they are usually served with potatoes, and the meatballs are separate from the gravy on the plate. This recipe, I feel, is much better on top of the noodles!
3 1/2 Tbspbutter
1 mediumonion, peeled and very finely diced
1/2 cbreadcrumbs (plain, preferrably fresh)
1 lbground beef
1 lbground pork
1 largeegg, beaten
dash(es)salt and pepper, to taste
2 Tbspvegetable oil
1 3/4 cbeef stock
3/4 csour cream
3 Tbspfinely chopped freshed dill (or dried)
How to Make Köttbulle Svenska (Swedish Meatballs)
- To make the meatballs, first melt a little of the butter in a frying pan and ass the finely chopped onion. Sauté until soft and then add the allspice.
- Soak the breadcrumbs in the milk, until the milk has been absorbed, about 30-45 minutes. Mix the fried onion in with the soaked bread and then add the meat, beaten egg, salt, pepper and mix well.
- Dampen your hands and form the mixture into balls about the size of large walnuts, slightly smaller than a golf ball.
- Heat half of the remaining butter with half of the oil in the previously used frying pan and fry the meatballs in batches, until they are golden brown in color. Remove the meatballs and allow them to cool slightly.
- Heat up the remaining butter and oil in a sauce pan and add the flour, cooking over a low heat and stirring constantly until the flour is golden and sandy in appearance.
- Take the pan off the heat and gradually add the beef stock, stirring and blending well after each addition. Put the pan back on the heat and bring to a boil. then add the sour cream. Turn the heat back down and add the meatballs, cover and cook over a low heat for about 15 to 20 minutes, until the sauce has thickened.
- Check and adjust the seasoning (salt and pepper) before adding the chopped dill to the meatball and sauce mixture. Serve over egg noodles and enjoy!