Kickin' Southwestern Mac 'n Cheese with Sausage
~Photo by me~
- lb. sweet italian johnsonville sausage (or mild or hot to preference)
- small onion, chopped
- cups (16 oz.) homemade or jarred salsa (mild, medium or hot to taste)
- cups water
- tsp. beef bouillon (*see note)
- tsp. chili powder
- tsp. garlic powder
- tsp. cumin
- tsp. coarse ground black pepper
- tsp. cayenne
- cups uncooked macaroni
- oz. velveeta cheese, cubed
- sour cream
- guacamole or diced avocado
- black olives
- sliced green onion
- jalapeño rings
TOPPINGS OF CHOICE:
How to Make Kickin' Southwestern Mac 'n Cheese with Sausage
- 1In large deep frying pan, brown onion and meat, breaking up as you go, until no longer pink in the middle. Remove with slotted spoon to a medium-sized bowl. Drain grease from pan and wipe out with a paper towel.
- 2Add salsa, water, bouillon and spices. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add noodles, reduce to medium-low, cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes until noodles are tender and water has been absorbed. (*If you have excess water, just uncover, increase heat and lightly boil until water evaporates.) Stir in sausage mixture and Velveeta. Stir until cheese has melted. Serve with toppings of choice!
- 3*I always use Superior Touch Better than Bouillon Beef Base. It's in the same aisle as regular bouillon. It's much better than cubes or dried granules.