Italian Style Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
I felt like getting creative and made this recipe. I knew I had a head of cabbage and most of the ingredients to make them but wanted it a bit different, so I used an Italian twist!
There will be extra filling so you can get creative and fill up a few bell peppers!
I know you will enjoy these, it's easy and healthy.
- 2 lb
- hamburger (or turkey burger)
- 1 lb
- sausage (tube)
- head of cabbage
- 1 large
- purple onion
- 2 c
- cooked wild rice blend (i used: lundberg wild blend/a gourmet blend of wild rice & whole grain brown rice.)
- 1 c
- mild salsa (any brand, i make my own)
- garlic cloves, chopped up very fine
- 2 c
- shredded cheese blend
- 2 large
- 32 oz
- chicken broth, low sodium fat free
- 1 jar(s)
- 24oz bertolli sauce, italian sausage w/garlic and romano (you can make your own spaghetti sauce or use your favorite brand. this one seemed to be wonderful!)
Cut out and discard the stem in your cabbage, wash with cold water. Shake out excess then place in your pan of hot water. After about 10 minutes (not mushy), remove the cabbage.
Carefully peal off the large pieces and rinse with cold water.
With the extra cabbage, chop it up in pieces.
Pour your chicken broth in a large crock pot and place the chopped cabbage on top of that.
Place your cabbage rolls carefully on top of that.
Turn your crock pot on high for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until the cabbage is tender (but not falling apart)