Italian Sausage Stromboli Appetizers
(Photo for now is from Johnsonville, but will post my own soon.)
- 1 (16 oz.)
- pkg. johnsonville italian mild ground sausage
- 1 (1 bl.)
- loaf frozen bread dough, thawed, see note at bottom
- 4 oz.
- cream cheese, softened
- garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (7 oz.)
- jar roasted red peppers, drained and sliced
- 1/3 cup
- (pitted) sliced kalamata olives or ripe olives
- 2 cups
- (8 oz.) shredded swiss cheese
- 1 tsp.
- poppy seeds
How to Make Italian Sausage Stromboli Appetizers
- 1In a skillet, brown sausage until no longer pink; drain. On a lightly floured surface, roll bread dough to a 16-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Transfer dough to a greased baking sheet. Combine cream cheese and garlic, spread lengthwise over center third of dough. Top with the sausage, peppers, olives and cheese. Fold dough over filling, pinching seam to seal. Make slits across top of dough every 2 inches. Brush lightly with water and sprinkle with poppy seeds. Bake at 400ºF for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.
Note: I've found that the best way to thaw frozen bread dough loaves, is to wrap them frozen with plastic wrap and refridgerate overnight. The next morning they are perfectly thawed but not risen.