Italian Sausage and Rice Stuffed Peppers
- 1 can(s)
- 14 ounce tomato sauce (mine was flavored with the peppers, onions and sausages cooked in it)
- 1 medium
- vidalia onion
- 2 large
- green bell peppers
- 2 tsp
- olive oil (or oil of choice)
- 2 tsp
- butter, unsalted
- links, italian sausage (casings removed)
- 3 c
- cooked brown rice
- 1/2 tsp
- dried oregano
- red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 c
- sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
How to Make Italian Sausage and Rice Stuffed Peppers
- 1Cook the brown rice, if you have not already done so. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- 2Wash peppers thoroughly and slice off the tops; clean out the membrane and seeds, then cut each pepper into two halves.
- 3Put the oil and butter in a large skillet to heat; medium chop the onion and the pepper tops. Add to the hot oil and cook until softened, about five minutes; remove from the skillet.
- 4Add the Italian sausage to the same skillet and cook, while chopping like ground meat, until cooked and no longer pink. Return the cooked vegetables to the skillet, stir and remove from heat.
- 5Put in the cooked rice, oregano, salt and pepper to taste, red pepper flakes, 1 cup of the shredded cheese and about 1 cup of the tomato sauce; mix to combine.
- 6Put the remaining tomato sauce in a square baking dish, large enough to hold the four pepper halves, that has been prepared with cooking spray. Spread to cover the bottom of the pan.
- 7Divide the filling between the peppers and place in the baking dish. Cover tightly with foil and cook for about 45 minutes. Remove the foil, distribute the remaining cheese on the peppers and return to the oven for about 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and starting to brown. Spoon what sauce is left in the baking dish over the peppers as you serve.