Hot Italian Sausage (make your own)
"An Italian friend of mine had an Italian restaurant and used this recipe for over 30 years. When he retired, he graciously consented to passing it on to me. I will share it with you. It is excellent as meatballs, in spaghetti sauce, hamburger patties, or on pizza. This Recipe was prized by him and revered by many. We are lucky to have gotten this Recipe." — Jim Wyllie
- original recipe makes 20 pounds italian sausage
- 20 lbs / 9080 g ground pork
- 1/8 cup / 35 g salt
- 1/4 cup / 65 g garlic salt
- 1 tbs / 6 g ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup / 55 g ground paprika
- 1 cup / 235 ml vegetable oil
- 1 tbs / 7 g anise seed
- 1 tbs / 6 g fennel seed
- 1/8 cup / 20 g red pepper flakes
NOTE: RECIPE DIRECTIONS ARE FOR THE ORIGINAL SERVING SIZE OF 80
How to Make Hot Italian Sausage (make your own)
- 1Place the ground pork into a large bowl. Season with salt, garlic salt, black pepper and paprika.
- 2In a blender or food processor, blend together the oil, anise seed, fennel seed and red pepper flakes. Mix everything into the ground pork until well blended.
- 3Refrigerate for 24 hours to let flavors blend. Bag and freeze in portions that suit your needs.
- 4The most helpful posted review follows:
Feb. 5, 2011
As an old school Italian, there isn't nearly enough spice for 20 lbs of pork. Surprised you can get any flavor at all. I've modified several times and I'm getting close to what I consider real Italian hot sausage from the neighborhood. Good spices, just needs a little help. Try this: * cut back to 3-4 lbs of pork (grind your own) * 1/2 tsp salt, * 1 tbs garlic salt, * 1/2 tsp pepper, * 1 tbs paprika, * 1/4 C olive oil, * 1/2 tbs anise , * 2 tbs fennel seed, (fennel is porks best friend) * 1 tbs red pepper Trick: after is sets overnight, fry up a meatball of it and check its flavor. Add what you think it needs and set it overnight again. If it's fresh you should be able to do this several times before you have to freeze it or cook it. Vinnie