Homemade Bacon Ketchup
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 1 medium
- onion, diced into small pieces
- 10 clove
- garlic, diced into small pieces
- 1 - 2 Tbsp
- olive or vegetable oil
- 1/2 c
- brown sugar
- 1 can(s)
- whole peeled tomatoes, strained and chopped
- red bell peppers, roasted, peeled, destemmed and chopped
- 1 tsp
- smoked paprika
- bay leaf
- 4 sprig(s)
- fresh thyme, or more to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp
- balsamic vinegar
- 6 +
- pieces thick bacon
How to Make Homemade Bacon Ketchup
- 1Saute onion and garlic until tender and caramelized in a tablespoon or two of oil.
- 2Add brown sugar to caramelized onions and garlic, and cook a couple of minutes until well integrated. Add tomatoes, roast bell peppers, paprika, bay leaf and fresh thyme.
- 3Simmer about 1 hour. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add balsamic vinegar at the end. (This will balance the sugar.)
- 4Preheat oven to 350°F. Place bacon strips on a baking sheet in the oven until it is crispy all over. Drain on paper towels, and dice into small pieces; fold into ketchup.
- 5Keeps well in a refrigerated container for about three weeks.