Homemade Bacon Ketchup
★★★★★ 1 vote5
1 mediumonion, diced into small pieces
10 clovegarlic, diced into small pieces
1 - 2 Tbspolive or vegetable oil
1/2 cbrown sugar
1 can(s)whole peeled tomatoes, strained and chopped
4red bell peppers, roasted, peeled, destemmed and chopped
1 tspsmoked paprika
4 sprig(s)fresh thyme, or more to taste
·salt and pepper to taste
1 Tbspbalsamic vinegar
6 +pieces thick bacon
How to Make Homemade Bacon Ketchup
- Saute onion and garlic until tender and caramelized in a tablespoon or two of oil.
- Add brown sugar to caramelized onions and garlic, and cook a couple of minutes until well integrated. Add tomatoes, roast bell peppers, paprika, bay leaf and fresh thyme.
- Simmer about 1 hour. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add balsamic vinegar at the end. (This will balance the sugar.)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place bacon strips on a baking sheet in the oven until it is crispy all over. Drain on paper towels, and dice into small pieces; fold into ketchup.
- Keeps well in a refrigerated container for about three weeks.