Ham and Cheese Calzones1
By Just A Pinch KitchenCrew
How to Make Ham and Cheese Calzones
- For dough, stir together 1 cup flour, yeast and salt.
- In a sauce pan heat water and butter just until warm (115 to 120) and butter is almost melted; stir constantly.
- Add to flour mixture.
- Stir vigorously until well combined.
- Stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface.
- Knead in enough remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (6 to 8 minutes total).
- Shape into a ball.
- Place in a greased bowl, turn once.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until double (30 to 45 minutes).
- For filling, stir together egg, ham, ricotta, mozzarella and parmesan cheeses.
- Set aside.
- Punch dough down.
- Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide dough into 8 portions and roll out each into a 7" circle.
- Spoon about 2 rounded tablespoons filling onto half of each circle of dough.
- Fold dough over filling, fold under edges, and pinch to seal.
- Fry calzones, a few at a time, in hot oil for 3 to 4 minutes or until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.