Halloween Slug Salad (Ham Salad with Aspic)
This is actually a good ham salad recipe covered in aspic. Once people cut into him and got over the fact that it looks so gross, they actually enjoyed it! I got this recipe from Easy Home Cooking Magazine a few years back. I changed it a bit to suite our taste.
This will be the hit recipe at your Halloween gatherings!
Ahh, Halloween! My favorite time to celebrate all that is odd and unusual! Gross! But yummy! :)
- 1 lb
- ground ham ( i use my kitchen aide) or mince it very well.
- 1/2 c
- finely chopped celery
- carrots, ground in the kitchen aide (can be shread fine if need be)
- 1/4 c
- sweet pickle relish, drained
- 3/4 c
- 1 oz
- (4 envelopes) unflavored gelatin, divided
- 1 qt
- tomato juice,chilled
- 2 Tbsp
- lemon juice
- 1 tsp
FOR THE HAM SALAD:
FOR THE ASPIC:
How to Make Halloween Slug Salad (Ham Salad with Aspic)
- 1Mix ham,celery,carrots,relish and mayonnaise in bowl.
- 2Sprinkle 1 teaspoon gelatin over 1/4 cup water in a small pan. Let stand one minute. Heat softened gelatin over low heat until dissolve, stirring constantly. Cool slightly and mix into ham salad. Chill.
- 3Cut out a large slug shape from cardboard (or pizza take out box); cover with foil.
Mold ham salad into slug shape on cardboard, pressing tightly to form; refrigerate.
- 4FOR THE ASPIC: (the skin of the slug)
in large bowl, sprinkle remaining gelatin over 1 cup cold tomato juice;let stand 1 minute.
In a large sauce pan, heat remaining 3 cups tomato juice to a simmer. Pour hot juice in bowl over gelatin mixture and stir until gelatin completely dissolves, about 5 minutes. Stir in lemon juice and salt, let cool,then chill until thick but not set. Place chilled slug on wire rack set over baking sheet to catch excess aspic. Slowly spoon 1/2 tomato aspic over ham mold; reserve remainder at room temperature.
- 5Refrigerate ham slug mold for 20 minutes. Remove from refrigerator and pour aspic over slug to cover evenly. Chill 1 hour, or until firm.
- 6Black olive bugs: Optional: Because, you know, the slug salad isnt gross enough! :)
Make a clear gelatin mixture with 2 teaspoons gelatin in 1/2 cup water. Pour into small cups (mini muffin tins work well) press black olives with carrot slices for legs into gelatin. Chill until firm.