1/2 lbground beef
1/2 lbground pork
1 pkgphyllo dough
1/2 can(s)tomato paste, no salt added
1/2 cgrated cheese (i prefer mozzarella, feta or parmesan)
·salt, onion salt, garlic salt, pepper (to taste)
1 stickbutter, melted (for brushing on dough)
How to Make Great Yia Yia Manutes' Bourekia
- Brown beef & pork in a skillet or frying pan using a small amount of oil.
- Add 1/2 tin of tomato paste
- Add 1/2 cup grated (or crumbled if you're using feta) cheese
- Add salt, pepper, onion & garlic salt to taste (This is where the dashes and the pinches come in.)
- Beat one egg and add to meat mixture when it has cooked and cooled.
- cut phyllo dough length wise to create two long pieces.
- brush dough strips with butter
- add meat mixture and roll into cigar shaped rolls. (It is sometimes easier to place phyllo strips on wax paper or parchment paper since they are so thin and tear easily.)
- Bake until golden brown.(roughly 30 minutes)